15 Method How Does 20 Mule Team Borax Kill Fleas? From Real People
20 mule team borax is a cool all-natural way to kill fleas and ticks and their eggs and larvae inside house and outside house in yard and on cats and dogs, don’t worry, swallowing borax only harm if it was a large quantity, drinking water or milk will stop possible harm too.
However, many commercial flea control sprayers contain borax.
Borax is an all-natural flea killer found in all corners of the globe, and is used to help with laundry and cleaning, gardening, DIY crafting, and many other uses:
- Effectively killing house insects like ants and fleas.
- As well as some funny uses, i.e. making Slime and borax crystals for kids.
Borax for washing is not like baking soda or boric acid while washing soda is sodium carbonate and closer to borax effect.
Below section show you how and where to apply the product as well as why it worked with some people while others failed to deal with borax on fleas. Be patient and read carefully
Does 20 mule team borax kill fleas? Does it Work or Not
From real people experiences, we can conclude that:
It is best to place a light and soapy-water-dish on the floor in the center of main room or route to catch fleas when jumping.
20 Mule team borax is very effective when washing and spraying with it, also it has a special ability to enter inside eggs when combined with soapy water or saline, borax has a low effect on eggs when used intact without washing water, or saline.
Combine with some of other natural remedies to get rid of fleas
You may pleased to learn the full recipe here: How to get rid of fleas using borax
Why Does Not 20 Mule Team Borax Work for Many People?
Some possible causes of borax ineffectiveness on fleas,
- 20 mule team borax can take up to 4 months to kill all hatching flea eggs in the whole house or apartment, so try to be patient.
- Using hot or cold water can harm cloths and alter the killing power of borax.
- When making a spray of borax solution, Chemically, borax is a “salt”, that means when borax dries, crystals left behind. Rinse borax out with warm water after every use.
- You have new visitors of friends especially with their pets, this is enough to renew infestation.
- If personal care or room cleanliness is omitted.
- You may spread and throw away your clothes, gloves and tassels everywhere in the house, and have a messy kitchen.
- Your apartment is always closed and not well ventilated.
- Fleas love the wet and dark places, so try to break their hearts and drain well.
- Vacuum vacuum is the first and golden preventive step, Borax is Very helpful to destroy the exoskeleton of adult fleas but eggs has extra protective layer which can be destroyed by vacuum.
How To Use 20 Mule Team Borax the Right Way To Kill All Fleas
We will use an integrated strategy to completely kill fleas and remove eggs from every single point in the house, apartments, and rooms.
Using the powder as a Laundry Booster to get rid of flea eggs beneath textile of your cloths as well as bed linens, bags, pillows, curtains of doors and windows in every room.
The ABC steps:
Before using borax, do some preparations include:
- Make sure you clean and remove all busy and mess as you’ve leaned above to not let a place for fleas to hide out.
- Vacuum everything even cloths.
- Drain all water residuals around kitchen sink and counters, pet’s eating dishes, etc.
- Apply 20 mule team borax as below, then let it set for a half day or more, then vacuum to dispose much more of dead adult fleas and any desiccated corpses.
- Reapply Borax powder to maintain its efficacy after the initial use especially for heavy infection by fleas and ticks.
- When sprinkle use a hand broom to insert borax into all hidden areas in bottom of rooms and fabrics of furniture.
Wash with Borax the infested cloths and fabrics.
Add 1/2 cup of borax powder to a bowl of warm water,
Soak cloths and fabrics well with the borax solution for enough period of time to work well,
Follow-up with a stream of warm water and your cloths must be free of fleas.
Other benefits as wash aiding powder are to improve the cleaning power of your detergent, to remove tough stains, and deodorize and it’s a natural alternative to ColorSafe Bleach, also “20 Mule Team Borax” will naturally soften hard water.
Use 20 mule team borax as an all-natural flea killer in kitchen and drains
- Using a push broom Sprinkle 2 – 3 tablespoons in the food waste disposal and drains, reach all corners and points as you can. 15 minutes is enough to destroy eggs and bombing larvae. Wash with water and dispose at the end.
- Sprinkle 3 – 5 tablespoons of 20mule team borax on a cloth or damp sponge, Wipe well on appliances all over the kitchen, on counters and around wet surfaces, Add to killing of fleas it removes grime and grease and makes dishes sparkling clean as well.
Using 20mule team borax in bathroom to get rid of flea’s infestation and deodorize
- Sprinkle 4 – 6 tablespoons on a cloth or a damp sponge and wipe well corners and hidden areas as well changing bathroom mop.
- Don’t worry borax is great for porcelain and fiberglass,
- Don’t forget to wipe hard water deposits and dirt, and soap scum.
- Into the bowl sprinkle 1/4 cup of 20mule team borax and flush using water and toilet brush.
- Let all applications stand 30 minutes or overnight to increase the effect of borax on fleas.
Kill fleas with borax 20 mule team inside rooms
To kill the fleas in your carpets you can sweep sprinkle the borax and let it sit up for 6 hours or 2 days for heavy flea invasion,
then sweep it up and dump the sweeper in the outside garbage, preferably as far away from your house as possible, this will kill adult and larva stage fleas.
Disinfect water bath and pool with borax
Use 20 mule team borax in the pool if it turns greenish and it works well to kill fleas on dogs and cats.
A complete discussion about killing fleas when dogs swim in the pool Does Chlorine Kill Fleas?
Using Borax on Bodies and Furry of Dogs and Cats Directly
Using borax products on the body of a dog or cat can be risky as it may get into eyes and cause pain, it’s better to sprinkle on carpets and floors where pets are walking on.
And use in pools where they swim.
This is confusing if you know that boric acid (borax family) is a disinfectant and used for eye cleaning.
20 mule team borax is not toxic but irritant to eyes and internal body tissues, so that we argue you to take care when using on pets to avoid hurting eyes and stomach.
The first aid when touch eyes to rinse with water for 15 minutes. or contact a doctor if persists.
If the dog ingested borax rinse mouth, do no force vomiting but give a glass or two of water or milk and call a physician immediately or veterinarian doctor to your dog or cat.
However, cats are fluffy beings than most dogs, so that cats cannot tolerate most of common insecticides over there. Please use alternatives that can be used for the whole house and harmlessly get rid of fleas and ticks on cats and kittens, for instance sevindust.
123 Method to Kill Fleas on Cats and Dogs with 20 Mule Team Borax
- Sprinkle borax powder on the carpet where cats and dogs walk.
- Spray the areas around pet’s house with a sprayer.
- preparing the Borax Sprayer:
- For every gallon of hot water dissolve 1/2 cup of borax, dissolve well in a large container.
- Fill a clean empty spray bottle with the borax solution.
- Places to apply on include around dog house, cat beds, wipe down cat carriers & bowls, back to the first section for more places.
- Rinse everything with pure water.
- Soak pet cleaning tools in Borax solution
Where to buy?
You can find 20 mule team borax and sevin dust in lawn in garden section at any store or grocery.
Learn more natural killers for fleas:
How does 20 mule team borax work for fleas control?
Mule20 team borax kill fleas and ticks by drying them out after getting inside the eggs and larva.
In science words,
When washing cloths and bedclothes with 20 Mule Team Borax, it acts by raising pH levels of washing water closer to neutral.
It means Borax softens water whereas fleas can’t jump and unable to escape that soft water and their hearts sinks then killed. Also the high pH will transport water inside flea’s eggs and terminate its viability.
Borax is a desiccant of flea’s eggs:
When sprinkling 20 Mule Team Borax powder on floors, carpets, and around yards, it acts by dehydrate flea’s larvae and finish it, also borax crystals act as a harsh chemical to the outside surface of the flea’s body which limit the flea jumps.
Like that, Borax will stop the generation cycle of fleas by eliminating eggs and larvae which will create new adult jumpers.
How long does it take for borax to get rid of fleas?
When the adult population of fleas will die off by Borax?
Single application must be left 6 – 24 hours in order to make a measurable effect on fleas population.
If you understand the flea’s life cycle, you know that Borax may take up to 2 -6 weeks of repeated application indoor and outdoor to exterminate entire house infection with fleas.
Of course, carpets need only application once a year, unless you wash it you will need to reapply.
How to use borax without harming cats, dogs, or children?
Medically, when ingesting borax, it is only toxic at very high levels like salt, baking soda, or even water.
Have an idea, Does salt kill fleas?
Where to use 20 mule team borax well and safely?
- Apply it to the hidden dark corners inside rooms by moving furniture and remove cushions and let borax crystals take care of your flea’s infestation.
- Fleas like home miss to breed, just put away shoes, dirty socks and cloths, toys especially made from fabric.
The bottoms of closets considered a house of fleas, ensure they’re accessible.
- Only use borax powder in places where dogs, cats, and children can’t get to avoid touching their eyes or falsely ingested.
- You must pay attention to grounds where your dogs and cats like to stay long time on it.
- Inside the house: along base boards, behind all furniture pieces and beneath fabrics, on carpets, and dark corners,
- Garbage disposals, and fruit dishes on tables are rich sources of all pesky insects.
- In kitchen, behind the stove, on and around counters and below, and dark unreachable holes.
- In yard: old grass, pet’s favorite places, soils have black gnat infestation , etc.
A must see:
A 20 Mule Team Borax looks like a White Powder which is consisting of soft water-soluble colorless crystals.
Where to buy borax for fleas: in UK, in USA, AU.